Category 4 Hurricane Matthew heavily damaged the Bahamian islands of Nassau, Andros and Grand Bahama. While hurricanes wreck havoc wherever they make landfall, storm recovery for island nations is generally longer than it is here in the U.S., due to the limited resources at hand.
Several Hurricane Matthew relief efforts for The Bahamas have taken place across the Treasure Coast and Florida. Some of the ongoing efforts still underway at press time are listed below.
We will attempt to keep the list current on our website (www.CamTreasureCoast.com). Please feel free to drop us note at firstname.lastname@example.org if you know of other Bahamas hurricane relief efforts underway.
The Treasure Coast was very fortunate that Hurricane Matthew did not strike us directly. Please help however you can. If traveling southward by boat, consider carrying supplies to the island of your choice. Have leftover hurricane supplies to donate? Check out the supply and donation drop off points listed below. Is writing a check or donating by credit card easier? There are a number of options listed below. And, for those who are so inclined, there is even an easy option to shop on Amazon and have the needed items shipped to a depot center in South Florida that is carrying supplies over to The Bahamas.
Supply/Donation Drop Off Points
- Atlantic Aviation of Stuart, Witham Field, 2240 SE Witham Field Drive, Stuart, Florida 34996. Hours for drop off are 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., telephone (772) 781-4720.
- Four Fish Inn, 2225 N.E. Indian River Drive, Jensen Beach, FL 34957. Monday through Friday, 8 am. to 5 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 12 noon., telephone (772) 334-0936. (Designated for West End, Grand Bahama)
- SEACOR Island Lines, LLC, 1300 Eller Drive, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33316. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., telephone (954) 920-9292.
- Pompano Beach Marine Center, 701 S. Federal Highway, Pompano Beach, FL 33062. Call (954) 946-1450, ask for John or Jill.
- EMS / World Headquarters, 7705 Progress Circle, Melbourne, FL 32904. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Designated for West End, Grand Bahama)
Items most needed: bottled water, canned food, baby supplies, flashlights, batteries, tarps, and clothing.
Online Donation Centers
- Old Bahama Bay for the residents of West End, Grand Bahama: https://www.gofundme/OldBahamaBay
- Humane Society of Grand Bahama. The facility was full prior to the storm, and since the storm, the facility began boarding animals for residents who lost their homes. Additionally, injured animals found throughout the island from the storm and being cared for by the HSGB: http://www.fundly.com/help-the-potcakes-recover-from-hurricane-matthew.
- The Kohn Foundation, providing food, water and necessities for the residents of West End AND the Humane Society of Grand Bahama. Registered U.S. non-profit (501c3) and donations may be tax deductible: http://thekohnfoundation.org/.
- Tropic Ocean Airways, http://www.gofundme.com/toabahamasrelief.
- Watermakers Air, hurricane relief for Andros Island. Amazon.com wishlist click and ship. Urgent items are listed and range from cereal, plastic bowls and clothing to generators, chain saws, and insect repellent. Watermakers Air’s address will appear as a shipping address option: https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/C83RO4XX5BQ7
Boaters Stop Off & Drop Off for Bahamas
Initiative spearheaded by Capt. Barb Evans (239-572-0887) to encourage vessels repositioning from the U.S. southward to take rebuilding supplies to drop off to an island of their choice.
- Drip Cap / Drip Edge (metal or PVC)
- Grout Float
- Grout for Tiles
- Hurricane Clips for Roofing
- Joint Compound
- Nail Tabs / Tin Tabs
- Nails (2½” and 3½”, hot-dipped galvanized or stainless steel)
- Nails for roofing (1″ or 1¼” ring shank)
- Notch Trowel
- Paint (indoor & outdoor)
- Paint Primer
- Paint Rollers, Brushes, Extension Sticks, Paint Pans
- Paper Drywall Tape
- Plain White Ceramic Indoor Floor Tiles
- Plywood Sheets for Roofing and Building (½” or ⅝”)
- Roofing Underlay (30 lb., felt — if using felt, must have tin tabs or nail tabs)
- Roofing Underlay (ice & water shield or Weather Watch)
- Sheetrock Screws
- Shingles (three-tab, asphalt)
- Taping Knife and Pan (for joint compound)
- Thin-Set Mortar / Thin-Set Cement
- Tile Crimpers / Mason’s Trowel
- Tile Scorer
- Wood 1-by-4 (pressure-treated, if possible)
- Wood 2-by-4 – (pressure-treated, if possible)
- Wood 2-by-6 (pressure-treated, if possible)
Hammers, saws, skill saws, bubble levels, squares, screw guns, drills, bits and tips, measuring tape, chalk, chalk line, pliers, silicone sponges, buckets, ladders, wrenches and screwdrivers
HOME FURNISHINGS & CLOTHING
- Adult and Child Clothes
- Adult and Child Shoes
- Appliances (refrigerators, stoves, freezers, washers and dryers)
- Baby Items (Pampers, clothes, baby food and formula, baby medicine like Calpol, children’s Tylenol)
- Beds (mattresses, box springs, bed frames)
- Beverages (water, soft drinks, juices, coffee and tea)
Blankets, Comforters, Throws
- Creamer (evaporated milk or canned cream)
- Deodorants and Lotions
- Doorknobs, Locks
Doors (indoor & outdoor)
- Extension Cords (heavy-duty and regular)
- Fans (standing and ceiling)
Feminine Products and Toiletries
- Food Items (rice, flour, sugar, canned goods and cereals)
- Insect Repellents (Raid, Off Deep Woods)
- Medical Supplies (antibiotic ointments, aspirin, ibuprofen, Tylenol, Band-Aids, rubbing alcohol, gauze, peroxide and hydrocortisone cream)
- Pots, Pans, Plates, Bowls, Cups and Silverware
RELIEF ITEMS WISH LIST
- School Supplies (notebooks, workbooks, pencils, pens, toys, reading and activity books)
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Small Household Appliances and Housewares
- Toilet Tissue