Summer is here, and we will be spending more time “on the road” to get to the water.
Before doing so, make sure to check out your boat trailer and make sure you are up-to-date with the requirements and safety issues.
- Brakes. If you have a double-axle, or tandem as it’s called, the law says you must have working brakes on all wheels. If you’re bound for the Keys or plan to drive a distance, make absolutely sure all brakes are working properly.
- Lights. Be sure your lights are working. Brake lights are especially important, along with directional lights. You don’t want to stop at a light and have someone run into the back of your boat.
- Tires. Check for uneven wear and for heat cracks. Insuring proper tire pressure is an easy way to help keep heat cracking from happening. Most standard tires in the 14-inch and 15-inch sizes should be kept at 52 psi .
- Bearings. If you notice uneven tread wear on the inside or the outside, you may want to have your bearings checked.
- Bunk carpet. Check to see if it is in good condition and stapled securely. If it is worn or torn, replace it.
- Winch Strap. Be sure your winch strap is in good condition. You don’t want it breaking while your loading the boat back on the trailer.
Take a little time and look your trailer over carefully from front to back and side to side. If you see anything questionable, have an experienced technician check it for you.
C&H Trailer offers free check-over/inspection of any trailer. We can make suggestions and you make the decisions.
Have a great summer boating season and keep safe.
C&H Trailers is located at 3160 SE Gran Parkway, Stuart, FL 34997. Schedule your free inspection by calling (772) 223-4014.